Members are advised that the Committee has amended the club bylaws stating that golf carts are used at the owners risk and that the club takes no responsibility for their misuse and that it is the owner's responsibility to comply with statutory requirements regarding registration and insurance.

Services SA has advised that legally golf carts should be registered as restricted miscellaneous vehicles as they are used in an area accessible to the public and especially because we must cross Shiell Rd during the course of play. This is not a simple process as a special application must be made with a map indicating the area in which the golf cart is to be used. The fee for 3 years is about $160 and registration ensures that the driver of the cart is covered for any third party injury or damage caused by an accident.

We have also been advised by MGA Insurance that our golf club insurance will also cover third parties for damage or injury in the event of an accident as crossing the road is integral to play of our course. Many golf courses have residential developments and so have roads in them.

Services SA also said that they do not police the registration of golf carts and neither does SAPOL but in the event of an accident you could be in trouble for driving and unregistered vehicle.

The registration application form is attached below as is a map that can be submitted with it. They ask for a dotted line of where you are going to drive it!!!

On a related subject the club's insurance will not necessarily cover you for loss, theft or damage to your cart if it is stored at the club. It would be wise to get it covered on your household insurance.

John Penna


FileDescriptionFile size
Download this file (Berri GC  Map.pdf)Berri GC Map.pdf 417 kB
Download this file (Golf Buggy Registration application form.pdf)Golf Buggy Registration application form.pdf 105 kB
Back to top